This event wouldn’t have been possible without the help of many people:
- Thanks go to Dr Irene Nordé and Rita Barksdale of Detroit Public Schools for supporting the program and getting the word out to all the schools within the district.
- A special thanks go to the instructional helpers Allison Rossetto, Astrid Waindja Younang, and Kate LaBelle from Oakland University and Dakota DeRidder from University of Detroit Mercy. Their coaching gave the girls immediate help.
- Al Scott and Tony Baker from Atomic not only assisted in the development of the course material, they provided key technical help during the event.
- Given all the people involved, the logistical support had to be flawless. Solving all of those details were Mallory Bartz and Lisa Tjapkes from Atomic, and Brenda Watson and Angelika Baker from the Detroit Community.
- Parent support was vital for many of the girls. I add my thanks to Mallory’s.
But no event can be successful without the willingness of the students to learn and try something new. In this case, all fourteen of the girls were shining examples.