In my previous post, I described how to access a private network remotely by creating a VPN server using OpenVPN and a Raspberry Pi. Now that we can connect to our local network remotely, we can set up a system to serve files outside our network.
I recently became very concerned about online privacy when I discovered that Google was maintaining a list of everything I’ve purchased and every flight I’ve taken. I had known that Gmail sorts and filters emails for advertising purposes, but seeing everything consolidated was a big surprise and concern to me.
It’s been almost a year since my posts on Excel workbook snapshot testing and PDF snapshot testing. Both of these have proven to be very valuable in our automated test suite and have allowed us to easily catch regressions, manually inspect the differences, and then update as needed. Another task on my current project has […]
Recently, I was tasked with writing some code to generate Excel workbooks containing sales data. I implemented the code using a Node module called ExcelJS. I found that this module provides a simple interface to generating documents, and it also supports more advanced functions such as text formatting, borders, formulae, and more.
Recently, I saw Windows 95 running under Electron. The project definitely brought up some old memories from when I was young and new to computers in the mid-1990s. Back then, I spent all of my time outside of school learning how to write code in BASIC. I discovered that the Windows 95 under Electron project […]
I was recently tasked with writing a bit of code to find delivery route stops where nothing has to be unloaded. This code is intended to prevent a delivery driver from stopping at a store when there’s nothing in the truck for that customer that day.
On my current project, we are developing a replacement for a legacy system written in Visual FoxPro that our customer has used for the last couple of decades. Since there is a lot of risk in switching over, we have developed a bi-directional syncing tool that attempts to keep each system up-to-date with changes made […]
Recently, I was tasked with creating a new screen containing a table of data for a project using React and Apollo. In the past, we would typically start by defining the database table, other access layers in between that and a GraphQL query schema, and finally the query on the front end using Apollo. This […]
A couple of weeks after I worked on PDF snapshot testing with Node and GraphicsMagick, I was tasked with writing some code to generate downloadable Microsoft Excel Workbook files. I thought I would use snapshot comparisons again, much as I did with PDF files to automatically detect regressions in the implementation.
The task I am working on this week involves generating downloadable PDF files for customer and supplier orders. We’d like to drive the implementation using tests and be able to find any regressions in the code automatically. After looking at different alternatives for accomplishing this, we decided to try a visual snapshot approach similar to […]