Heroku will terminate a request connection if no data is sent back to the client within 30 seconds. From Heroku’s Router – HTTP timeouts documentation: HTTP requests have an initial 30-second window in which the web process must return response data (either the completed response or some amount of response data to indicate that the […]
I’ve worked on a couple of React/Redux projects now, and it was only recently that I realized some of the re-rendering issues I’ve run into were being caused by incorrectly using connect, and specifically the second argument to connect — mapDispatchToProps.
I ran into an issue where I was unable to run more than one system test at a time without the second (and all other tests) failing. These particular tests involved starting an HTTP server to act as the external API that the application would interact with during the course of the tests. The problem […]
While trying to figure out the best way to structure my “reducer” functions in a Redux-style Xamarin app, I found out that C# 7.0 introduced pattern matching support in switch statements!
I recently needed to find and fix a bug in a web app I’ve been working on. The bug had something to do with code that was updating the dimensions of a third-party generated UI component whenever the window was resized. While troubleshooting the issue, I repeatedly used a handful of the tools provided by […]
For the last few months, I’ve been using Visual Studio Code on a Node.js project. It’s a pretty great editor, and its support for TypeScript is fantastic. As part of my normal workflow, I try to follow TDD practices as much as possible. For efficiency’s sake, I like to execute the tests in the test […]
Nearly every project I have ever worked on has had to deal with dates in one way or another. For example, there might be a need to generate a report for a specific date range. This would require a user to select a start and end date, which would be sent over the network to […]
Way back in 2011, I wrote a blog post showing how to Run Tests from MacVim via Terminal.app or iTerm.app. I’ve been using that setup for years without a problem, but when iTerm2 Version 3 was released, it stopped working. I’ve updated the AppleScript and am posting it here for anyone who wants to run […]
It seems that on every Rails project I work on, I end up writing utility scripts that make changes to the production data in some way or another. Perhaps it’s pre-loading hundreds of user accounts for a customer that wants to provide a spreadsheet of users, or populating an account with fake data that can […]