While trying to figure out the best way to structure my “reducer” functions in a Redux-style Xamarin app, I found out that C# 7.0 introduced pattern matching support in switch statements!
Last December, I wrote about using F#’s interactive REPL to facilitate TDD. Since then, enough interesting developments have happened that I think the topic is worth revisiting.
I recently modified some connection strings and settings across multiple ASP.NET web applications in a large solution. It (only) took an hour, but in the process I found multiple incorrect and stale settings. The code violated the DRY principle. The fix involved referencing the common shared settings from a single source instead of repeating them […]
I’ve done a lot of C# development over the past three years. I’m very happy with how the language has evolved. During that time, my coding style in C# has also evolved. Here are some simple techniques I’ve found that have increased the quality of my C# code.
After working on .NET applications for the past six years, I recently spent a few months using Ember.js and AngularJS. Both originally supported organizing files in a project by type: separate top-level directories for models, controllers, views, etc. But this has changed over the past few years to prefer organizing by feature area—Ember with pods […]
I was introduced to Caliburn.Micro less than a year ago, and it has since become my preferred MVVM framework for XAML development. It supports several conventions that reduce boilerplate code. It’s an opinionated framework that encourages a ViewModel-First approach during development. Unfortunately, design-time support out of the box is limited to ViewModels with a public […]
C# 6 recently added support for exception filters, which enable a few helpful scenarios. In this post, I’ll demonstrate how they can be used to improve debugging and crash dump analysis.
Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) has been around for a while now, but many (if not most) developers have never used it. I’ve primarily used it for performance tracing, and it’s flexible enough to be used for logging regular application events as well.
In part 2 of this series I made a case that switching from Stateless Single-Responsibility Objects to delegates and static methods lets us write simple, pure functions and lets us remove a lot of boilerplate. Nevertheless, there was still one bit of boilerplate I hadn’t yet removed. It dealt with encapsulating dependencies to a method […]
In my previous post on the Stateless Single-Responsibility Object (SSRO) approach to C# application composition I reviewed the concept and its shortcomings. To recap: You end up with a ton of classes splitting up semi-related logic across multiple files. This is necessary to conform to the classname == filename convention. In order to mock, you […]